Friday, September 15, 2006

Marijuana as a performance-enhancing drug

I’m not sure if this falls into the category of medical librarianship, but I had a student asking about any research that has been done on marijuana as a performance-enhancing drug in sports.

I couldn’t find any studies like this on SPORT Discus, leaving me to suspect that marijuana is not performance enhancing, and that if it is, most of the research has been privately funded and done behind closed doors. I probably should have pursued it further, but sent him off.

I went back later and looked on Google Scholar for something on this topic. A number of articles mentioned it, but general consensus is that it is more likely to impair an athlete than enhance, so no rigorous studies have been done directly connected to athletes. There is some information on how it affects drivers (not very much, apparently, according to the Journal of Safety Research), which I suppose could be applied to athletes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dean Giustini said...

Hi D.
Interesting question.

My suggestion for your post is to include links, and give your post a title.

Dean

8:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recall reading an article some time ago about the performance enhancing properties of marijuana on crop harvesters (no, not pot, but regular old fruit and vegetables). I remember being amazed by the obscurity of such a study. Now I know better -all studies have an element of obscurity, if only to the reader.

9:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most athletes today are using homeopathic growth hormone oral spray. It's legal for over the counter sales and is very gentle on the system.

3:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home