Thursday, September 28, 2006

Eponyms

I had a call from a researcher who wanted to know the first names of the two doctors after whom Mueller-Weiss Syndrome was named. He had googled the surnames, but couldn’t find any information on their given names.

Had this happened after Tuesday’s class, I would have immediately gone to the Dictionary of Medical Eponyms - B.G. Firkin and J.A. Whitworth - W13.F57 1996 and found my answer there. However, I tried other search engines than Google, and found the site http://www.whonamedit.com on AltaVista

This gave me the information I was looking for and I was able to e-mail him with the information he needed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dean Giustini said...

D,

Did you notice that there is no MeSH for Mueller-Weiss Syndrome? I wonder what EMBASE, CINAHL, IPA and MDConsult would uncover?

Dean

ps. Here's TRIP (which provides clues for MEDLINE-MeSH terms):

http://www.tripdatabase.com/SearchResults.html?s=1&criteria=Mueller-Weiss+Syndrome

10:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home